Horizontal Lifelines For Roof Applications
Roof Horizontal Lifelines are cabled-based systems utilized for fall arrest and fall restraint purposes. Our team of safety specialists can partner with you to design, fabricate, and install a permanent rooftop horizontal lifeline system for flat and sloped roofs constructed from the entire range of commercially available materials including metal, rubber membrane, concrete, and built up roofs. Diversified Fall Protection engineers and installs roof horizontal lifelines that feature both rigid and minimally invasive tip over post technology. Making sense out of which options to choose can seem like a daunting task. This is why our engineering department performs an on-site visit for each project to ensure a fall protection solution that best suits your application.
By connecting a steel cable to two or more anchor points, maintenance personnel and contractors can safely access, inspect, and repair rooftop equipment while maintaining 100% tie-off at all times. Although there are similarities between applications, each roof work environment poses specific fall protection challenges which are often best addressed with a custom-engineered solution. By partnering with a fall protection company familiar with the unique nature of rooftop fall hazards, cost effective solutions that ensure worker safety and OSHA compliance are achievable without compromising worker productivity.
Diversified Fall Protection a complete turnkey provider of OSHA compliant horizontal lifeline systems. Contact us for expert assistance with your fall arrest, fall restraint and fall protection requirements
- The employer must ensure that each horizontal lifeline:
- Is designed, installed, and used under the supervision of a qualified person; and 1910.140(c)(11)(ii)
- Is part of a complete personal fall arrest system that maintains a safety factor of at least two. 1910.140(c)(12)
- Capable of supporting at least 5,000 pounds (22.2 kN) for each employee attached; or 1910.140(c)(13)(ii)
- Designed, installed, and used, under the supervision of qualified person, as part of a complete personal fall protection system that maintains a safety factor of at least two. 1910.140(c)(14)
- Travel restraint lines must be capable of sustaining a tensile load of at least 5,000 pounds (22.2 kN). 1910.140(c)(15)
- Lifelines must not be made of natural fiber rope. Polypropylene rope must contain an ultraviolet (UV) light inhibitor. 1910.140(c)(16)
- Personal Fall Arrest Systems: System performance criteria. In addition to the general requirements in paragraph (c) of this section, the employer must ensure that personal fall arrest systems: 1910.140(d)(1)(i)
- Limit the maximum arresting force on the employee to 1,800 pounds (8 kN); 1910.140(d)(1)(ii)
- Bring the employee to a complete stop and limit the maximum deceleration distance the employee travels to 3.5 feet (1.1 m); 1910.140(d)(1)(iii)
- Have sufficient strength to withstand twice the potential impact energy of the employee free falling a distance of 6 feet (1.8 m), or the free fall distance permitted by the system; and... 1910.140(d)(1)(iv)
- Sustain the employee within the system/strap configuration without making contact with the employee's neck and chin area. 1910.140(d)(1)(v)
- On any horizontal lifeline that may become a vertical lifeline, the device used to connect to the horizontal lifeline is capable of locking in both directions on the lifeline. 1910.140(d)(2)(ii)
- Personal fall arrest systems are rigged in such a manner that the employee cannot free fall more than 6 feet (1.8 m) or contact a lower level. A free fall may be more than 6 feet (1.8 m) provided the employer can demonstrate the manufacturer designed the system to allow a free fall of more than 6 feet and tested the system to ensure a maximum arresting force of 1,800 pounds (8 kN) is not exceeded. 1910.140(d)(3)
- Body belts. Body belts are prohibited as part of a personal fall arrest system.
Talk to a fall protection specialist
Tell us about your fall protection needs, and we’ll configure a system that rises to your challenges.