Roof Guardrail & Safety Railing
Guardrail systems provide simple and easy-to-use leading edge fall protection for a variety of applications, including rooftops, mezzanines, stairs, access platforms, gangways, and loading docks just to name a few. From free-standing safety railing systems to permanent installations, DFP guardrail can keep your employees safe and your facility in compliance with all OSHA fall protection regulations.
Guardrail has a number of advantages when compared to other forms of fall protection. Guardrail is often less expensive than an engineered fall arrest system, and installation is fast and easy. Guardrail is also easy to use. Unlike other forms of fall protection that require workers to wear body harnesses and connect to the system via a SRL or shock absorbing lanyard, your workers are protected from the moment they set foot on your roof. What’s more, you’ll save on training and annual re-certification costs too. Speaking of savings–we manufacture all of the guardrail used in our installations, delivering exceptional value to our clients. Whether you need portable guardrail for a rooftop application, or a permanently attached guardrail system, the safety experts at Diversified can recommend a safety railing system to meet your needs and budget.
**Unistrut Service Company–Online Ordering Available**
We are a complete turnkey provider of OSHA compliant fall protection systems and have years of experience designing and installing guardrail systems. Contact us for expert assistance with your fall arrest, fall restraint and fall protection requirements.
Guardrail Fall Protection Design Considerations For rooftop installations, DFP can design and install a variety of non-penetrating guardrail systems to prevent leaks. Care must be taken when specifying weighted base guardrail systems to consider loads applied to the deck. Regardless of location or mounting style, the top rail must be rated to withstand a force of at least 200lbs; the mid-rail must be rated at 150lbs. Swing gates can be used in conjunction with guardrail systems to provide easy access to rooftop hatches and other openings. The use of a toeboard is recommended in areas such as mezzanines and access platforms where dropped items may fall and strike individuals working below. Guardrail systems may be powder-coated safety yellow for high visibility or utilize custom colors to match or blend into the surroundings.
- 1926.502(b)(1) Top edge height of top rails, or equivalent guardrail system members, shall be 42 inches (1.1 m) plus or minus 3 inches (8 cm) above the walking/working level. When conditions warrant, the height of the top edge may exceed the 45-inch height, provided the guardrail system meets all other criteria of this paragraph.
- 1926.502(b)(2)(i) Midrails, when used, shall be installed at a height midway between the top edge of the guardrail system and the walking/working level.
- 1926.502(b)(3) Guardrail systems shall be capable of withstanding, without failure, a force of at least 200 pounds (890 N) applied within 2 inches (5.1 cm) of the top edge, in any outward or downward direction, at any point along the top edge.
- 1926.502(b)(5) Midrails, screens, mesh, intermediate vertical members, solid panels, and equivalent structural members shall be capable of withstanding, without failure, a force of at least 150 pounds (666 N) applied in any downward or outward direction at any point along the midrail or other member.
- Guardrail Applications
- Roof Hatches
- Access Platforms and Walkways
- Loading Docks
AT DFP, we recognize that each fall protection scenario is unique, requiring a comprehensive hazard assessment and customized solution. Whether your application calls for a portable guardrail or a permanently installed safety railing, our safety engineers have a complete range of guardrail solutions to ensure personnel safety and complete compliance with all OSHA fall protection regulations.
Talk to a fall protection specialist
Tell us about your fall protection needs, and we’ll configure a system that rises to your challenges.