This installment of Tech Talk explores OSHA findings as they relate to fall protection.
In 2009, OSHA published a report outlining the top 10 standards with the highest assessed penalties. The most common citations came in the following areas:
- #1 Fall Protection
- #2 Scaffolding (fall protection related)
- #3 Control of Hazardous Energy
Despite increased awareness of fall protection issues in the workplace, citations went up between 2009 and 2010:
- 6,771 Fall Protection Violations in 2009
- 7,559 Fall Protection Violations in 2010
- This represents an increase of 12%
Consider the following increased costs related to lost time and injuries:
- OSHA statistics show the average lost work time due to falls is 13 days
- Sprains and strains are the most common fall related injuries
- OSHA statistics show a STRAIN injury sustained from a fall requires $574,620 in revenue with a net profit of 10% to cover all related costs
- OSHA statistics show a CONCUSSION sustained from a fall equates to $1,437,570
- Increased cost of liability insurance, for self insured companies; increased operational costs
Increased operating costs are not the only consequence of work related falls. Owners of private companies and senior executives of publicly held companies have been convicted of crimes relating to fall safety because they were found guilty of willfully not complying with fall protection standards.
If your company’s safety director is unclear when fall protection systems are required by law, or how to best comply with OSHA fall protection regulations, contact the fall protection experts at DFP. Our engineers can work with your architect or plant manager on fall protection system function and design. We can offer site evaluations/risk assessments and provide detailed documentation identifying your risk areas. Our certified fall protection engineers can also propose solutions and cost estimates to mitigate risk factors and fulfill all OSHA requirements. Interested in learning more about creating a safer working environment for your employees and how to best comply with OSHA fall protection standards? Contact DFP for a fall protection proposal today.